Tell the Bees

Lina’s Gone

In the midst of the thunder & lightning of an unusually wild thunderstorm, at 5:55 PM last evening, Lina stopped breathing.

Seconds later, at 5:57 PM, a very close lightning strike caused our house to lose power  – no lights, no telephone, no internet connection – until the power was restored at dawn this morning. Our cell phones have poor reception at our home so we were only able to make a couple of outgoing calls.

And so…

Our daughters and I lit our house with candlelight as it got dark, and after the storm cleared, the bright light of the huge, low full moon over the ocean out right our windows filled our house. My girls and I spent the evening sitting alone with Lina until the funeral home came to remove her body at 11 PM while I held a flashlight so they could maneuver down the stairs in the dark. Then, Chloe, Moriah and I sat at our kitchen table for most of the night, by candlelight, in shock I suppose, hugging each other and picking out some of our favorite photos which we will be posting here soon.

love,
Craig

55 comments

55 Comments so far

1. Joan Martay July 19th, 2008 8:32 am

It seems so fitting that Lina made her transition to peace in the midst of a thunder and lightning storm. It sounds as though love and light surrounded her as she passed. I am so very sorry for loss. I send love to each of you.
    Joan

2. Julianna Padgett July 19th, 2008 8:47 am

Thank you for so beautifully describing Lina’s passing and your quiet vigil for her. May all that light and love surround you as you move through the coming months. julianna

3. Willy Ritch July 19th, 2008 8:54 am

There is no avoiding the sadness of losing Lina, but it’s hard to imagine anyone handling these last three years with any more courage and grace than all of you have. -Willy

4. Priscilla De Leeuw Barrowclough July 19th, 2008 9:04 am

How symbolic of Lina’s long fierce fight! Thunder, lightning and manmade power taken away…. You all have been so supportive of her in this long battle. She is now at rest as the storm has passed. Love, Priscilla & Bob

5. Richard July 19th, 2008 9:21 am

There is a new star in the sky this morning…of that I am sure.
    I am humbled by the courage, grace and love that you have shared with all of us. And I remain grateful for having been touched by Lina along the way.
    Love, Richard

6. Deb C July 19th, 2008 9:26 am

An elegant song won’t hold up long
    When the palace falls and the parlour’s gone
    We all must leave but it’s not the end
    We’ll meet again at the festival of friends.
    Excerpt from Bruce Cockburn’s Festival of Friends

Though I am relieved to know Lina’s struggles are over, I am going to miss my marvelous friend.

Love Deb

7. Joyce Read July 19th, 2008 10:06 am

Goodbye my friend…and safe journey.
    Joyce

8. julie olsen July 19th, 2008 10:15 am

My heart is with you all.. a long hard fight through to the end. It does seem that storm was Lina’s final message… her energy and light to live on through you all. All my love, Julie

9. Mary Townsend July 19th, 2008 10:43 am

Dear Craig, Chloe, and Moriah,
    Lina was true “a lion of courage”. In the days ahead, I hope you find comfort in the magnificently fearless way she lived her life . . . as a full participant, not “just a visitor”. What a privilege it is to have known her.
    In Love and Peace,
    Mary

10. maria July 19th, 2008 10:44 am

i did not know lina but her story will inspire me for years to come. chloe, i am thinking of you and your family. much love, maria

11. Evelyn DeLeeuw July 19th, 2008 10:50 am

Dear Craig, Chloe and Moriah,

May you be comforted knowing that Lina is now in the Lord’s care.

Love,
    Evelyn DeLeeuw

12. Betty Carter July 19th, 2008 10:56 am

What a wonderful way to have the end arrive! Thunder, lightening, wind and rain—–and to be carried out by candle light tells me that Lina certainly had her say in all of it. My final message is, yeah, Lina and Godspeed to a much better place.

13. Mary and John July 19th, 2008 11:32 am

Love you Love you Love you.

14. Susan Ray July 19th, 2008 12:02 pm

Craig, Chloe and Moriah,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. It has been a long courageous fight for all of you.

Our love,
    Jim, Susan, Nick and Tom

15. Ciocca-Lee Family July 19th, 2008 12:21 pm

Dear Craig,Chloe, Moriah,
    Lina’s spirit will continue to shine through you. Her strenghth and courage are inspirational to all of us. Our life on earth is measured by years but your spiritual connection to your mom/wife is infinite-she will always be with you.
    Love, Angelo,Debby,Sonia,Alicia,Teak,Christina,&Crim

16. Hannah July 19th, 2008 12:45 pm

Dear Craig, Chloe and Moriah–

I took Marley out for a walk on Maxwell’s farm this morning, and the fields were alive with bumblebees. They reminded me of the “bee-loud glade” in this poem, a balm for my aching heart, and I hope yours, too.

With love,
    Hannah, Bruce and Skye

The Lake Isle of Innisfree
    by W.B. Yeats

I WILL arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
    And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made;
    Nine bean rows will I have there, a hive for the honey bee,
    And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow, 5
    Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
    There midnight’s all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
    And evening full of the linnet’s wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
    I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore; 10
    While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements gray,
    I hear it in the deep heart’s core.

17. Nancy Bird LaChance July 19th, 2008 1:48 pm

Although no one would wish for the pain you have suffered through this, I’m sure we would all like to leave this world surrounded by our dear loved ones, with quiet time afterward to remember together. The storm, the silence, and the candlelight… so much more beautiful than the harshness of the hospital. Earth’s loss is Heaven’s gain. Love and strength to you all, Nan

18. Evan Mills July 19th, 2008 1:48 pm

Goodbye to Lina and courage to Craig, Moriah and Chloe.

19. Janis Boster, Yreka, CA July 19th, 2008 4:02 pm

Dear Craig,

Thank you for your beautiful and loving description of Lina’s passing. You and your girls will be in my prayers in the days ahead, in good times and bad. What a phenomenal woman Lina was, and how wonderful you are, exhausted though you must be, for all your loving care of her, the girls, and Lina’s friends. Be good to yourself, Craig, and rest. Love and strength to all of you–Janis

20. Bill DeLeeuw July 19th, 2008 4:12 pm

Craig, Chloe and Moriah,
    My deepest sympathies for the loss of a wife, mother and friend. She was so stong through this entire ordeal and a great inspiration to many. She will be missed.

21. Sandy July 19th, 2008 4:42 pm

Dear Craig, Chloe and Moriah,
    What a peaceful surreal ending to a very long battle. Lina was a courageous women. I feel she has left her mark on all of us. She will be truly missed. Our love to you all.
    Sandy, Gregg, Chad, Trent and Hannah

22. Elise Adams July 19th, 2008 5:57 pm

Dear Craig, Chloe and Moriah,

Much love to you in this difficult time.

Elise

23. Beth Currier July 19th, 2008 6:05 pm

Dear Craig, Chloe and Moriah,
    All our love to you in this difficult time, our thoughts are with you.
    Beth, Doug, Victoria, Garret and Libby

24. moie July 19th, 2008 6:55 pm

I spent the afternoon driving to Pittsburgh to see Janie, my daughter, starting the trip about an hour after I read that Lina was gone. Almost three hours I had alone to think, and remember and love Lina and all of the memoires of her, from when I first met her in the early-eighties to several weeks ago in Boston. The last time I saw her I realized that through all the difficulties of her last three years, Lina had not lost her appreciation for life’s good moments–Chloe’s graduation, Moriah’s group of friends, Craig’s work –all of these things brought her joy and satisfaction. Despite the severity of her illness, she was still involved in, and still cared about, what other people were doing.

Craig, Chloe and Moriah, I love you and will always miss Lina,

Moie

25. Barb Smith July 19th, 2008 7:03 pm

Dear Craig, Chloe and Moriah,
    Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    You all showed such strength and courage through these
    difficult times. Peace and comfort to you.
    With Love,
    Graham, Barb, Caty, Jillian & Teddy Smith

26. Jenn Jones-Spann July 19th, 2008 7:13 pm

Dear Craig, Chloe and Moriah,
    It is difficult to find the words to express our sorrow for your loss. We are away in Michigan and as we cried and listened to the rain fall today, we told our extended family about the amazing, strong, brilliant, talented woman that Lina was and the wonderful family that you are. You have all been so loving and strong. You are constantly in our hearts and thoughts and many, many prayers. May that hole that is left in your hearts be filled with many beautiful memories as you find comfort and peace. Rely on your friends and family as we are all here for you and love you.
    Love,
    Jenn, Chris, Michaela, Devon and Ryer and Family

—–

Moriah and Chloe,
    I am so sorry for the loss of your mother. I am here for you if you want to talk or just go for a walk or someone to be with even if you don’t feel like talking. You are both so wonderful and talented like your mom. I am thinking of you and praying for you.
    Love,
    Michaela

27. The Bosworth Family July 19th, 2008 10:25 pm

Dear Craig, Chloe & Moriah,
    You are in our thoughts and prayers as you deal with the passing of Lina. What a spunky Mom /Wife you guys had. May the wonderful memories of her help you get though the difficult times. Our love to you all!
    The Bosworth Family

28. Danuta July 19th, 2008 10:41 pm

Dear Craig,

Thank you for finding Lina, for loving Lina and for bringing her to Maine and into all our lives.

She was amazing – as you know so much more intimately and better than we do – a life force, a dynamo – someone who made things happen, recognized no obstacles, was always curious, clear about her intent and direct as to implementation – regardless of how, what or when.

We are all better from knowing her.

Reflecting on the years of her illness, in addition to her bravery, what I remember most is the extent to which you honored her journey, supported her at all times and eased her final passage. You and your lovely daughters.

Thinking back, I never heard one negative word from any of you about how this illness might be impacting your lives – you integrated it with grace, with love, with hope and expectation for Lina’s recovery – the best of all possible outcomes and nothing less.

I am honored to have known Lina and to know all of you.

Love,
    Danuta

29. Kim M-D July 20th, 2008 8:22 am

Craig, Chole & Moriah,

We’re thinking of you and will continue to always during this time. With much love – Kim, Kevin, Steffi and Manny

30. Susan Baker July 20th, 2008 9:04 am

Good bye dear Lina. I will miss you, but know that the memories of your amazing life of talent, strength and love will go on forever. I hope and pray that Craig, Chloe and Moriah, that you will have some rest and relief during upcoming times and that you will revive with the love and goodness of this huge family that you have come to know. The accounting of Lina’s passing in the storm at home with you all there is so appropriate and touching. Thank you ALL again for this forum and hope that it will continue so that we can continue to be a part of your lives. Love Susan

31. Lynn and Seth Blank July 20th, 2008 10:30 am

Our love is with you all. Lina is indeed a star in heaven and her light will be with you always,
    The Blank Family

32. Tom Diebold July 20th, 2008 11:29 am

I will always remember Lina’s kindness and gentleness. I remember in particular going trick-or-treating one Halloween with Lina, and that she was wearing a terrific witch hat and costume she had made. I was mightily impressed with that, and with the quiet joy she took in these little life rituals.

She was a wonderful and compassionate person, and I am sorry for your loss.

Tom

33. Joan Moriarty July 20th, 2008 1:33 pm

Craig, Chloe, Moriah,

I am so sorry for your loss. I believe that through Lina’s strength, she helped you through this difficult time. She was a very courageous woman. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.

Joan Moriarty

34. deborah napier July 20th, 2008 1:53 pm

Dear Craig, Chloe, and Moriah,
    I don’t know if you remember me, Craig, but we were introduced some years ago by my dear friend and yours, Rosemary. Rose has kept me abreast of the incredibly difficult journey Lina, you and your girls have gone through over the past years. I just wanted to extend my sympathy to you and yours. Know that you all have many caring friends, even those of us who only know you remotely.
    Deborah Napier

35. Michael Kelbling in Kassel, Germany July 20th, 2008 3:42 pm

Dear Craig, Chloe and Moriah,
    I lighted a candle for Lina and I am thinking of you at this very sad time.
    Love
    Michael

36. Andrea Estepa July 20th, 2008 6:03 pm

I just wanted to share this poem, a favorite of Lina’s
    and mine, which seemed to me in recent months to be written especially to and for her. When I told Lina that it reminded me of her, she told me she was honored.

WILD GEESE
    You do not have to be good.
    You do not have to walk on your knees
    for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
    You only have to let the soft animal of your body
    love what it loves.
    Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you
    mine.
    Meanwhile the world goes on.
    Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
    are moving across the landscapes,
    over the prairies and the deep trees,
    the mountains and the rivers.
    Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
    are heading home again.
    Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
    the world offers itself to your imagination,
    calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting–
    over and over announcing your place
    in the family of things.
    –Mary Oliver

Love, Andrea

37. The Doane Family July 20th, 2008 6:35 pm

Dear Brown Family,

We are so sorry for your loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Joe, Pauline, Carolyn, Joey and Peter Doane

38. Sheryl from Pacific Northwest July 20th, 2008 8:45 pm

Dear Craig, Moriah and Chloe,

My deepest condolences to you on the loss of your beloved wife, and mom. I, too, believe when I look deep into the night sky tonight, I will see another star. That star would be Lina’s peaceful energy comforting you and bringing peace to the many friends and family who will miss her always.

My hope is that her strength brings you strength and the vibrant memories of your wife and mom offer you comfort during this tough time.

Love, Sheryl

39. Christine July 20th, 2008 10:25 pm

Craig, Moriah and Chloe,
    It was a private time and I’m glad you had a really quiet time with the power outage. Just seems right. There is so much love between you all-holding Lina and her dignity all this time-each one of you is so strong….
    Why are we all sad? Because the gift of Lina is no longer in our lives-but is that true?? Or has it multiplied and intensified through every stage that she courageously battled through and the friends she made along the way?…teaching us to be together, creating this website so diversified friends could hear each other…so a community was created – That is so Lina!

40. Margarita Ramirez July 21st, 2008 3:16 am

Dear Craig,

You have my deepest sympathy for the loss of your Lina. Thank you for opening your doors and allowing us all to share in her journey. May you and your daughters find continued warmth and healing in the company of your dearest friends and family.

Sincerely,
    Margarita Ramirez
    California

41. Nancy Ansheles July 21st, 2008 11:18 am

Dear Craig, Chloe, Moriah, and Lina’s family:

I’m thinking of you all and sending you my comfort and support.

I feel guilty for crying when I know Lina was about laughter and optimism. That is part of her large legacy, and hopefully will come back to all those who know her. She’s my hero in handling her illness and living a full and vibrant life.

In peace and friendship, Nancy

42. Lori Myers July 21st, 2008 12:09 pm

My deepest sympathy for your loss. Lina was a wonderful person to work with and I’m sure she is at peace now. God be with you all.

43. Beverly Naidus July 21st, 2008 2:00 pm

Meeting Lina in 1982 at a retreat for activist artists at the Blue Mountain Center in the Adirondacks was like having one of those wonderful drinks of clear, refreshing water after a long, long walk. Her sparkling energy at ACD meetings was always appreciated. Although we only had one email exchange during her illness, I felt blessed by the reconnection. I told her about my battle with thyroid cancer and learned of her excitement about her daughter’s plans for art school. I will notify all the activist art networks I am part of, to let them know of Lina’s passing. May you be surrounded in love during your grieving.

Many thanks for creating this space for our grieving.

Love, Beverly

44. Jeff Cohen July 21st, 2008 7:51 pm

Dear Craig and daughters,
    Our thoughts and prayers are aimed in your direction from Woodstock, NY, from me and my daughters.
    –Jeff Cohen

45. Alison Ekstrom July 21st, 2008 11:10 pm

Thank you dear Craig for capturing Lina’s life and loves in her death notice. It reminded me that Lina, brimming with vibrancy and vitality, was not about what happened to her but about what she chose to do. I am deeply saddened by your loss and Chloe’s and Moriah’s. But comforted that Lina’s life, though far too short, was an extraordinary life, for Lina’s was a life well lived. XO Alison

46. Behdad July 23rd, 2008 10:03 am

So Sorry Craig. What a loss. Behdad London

47. Brian Dunn July 24th, 2008 11:51 am

Our deepest thoughts are with you Craig, Chloe, and Moriah. Lina was a wonderful, caring person. Only the best for you.
    -The Dunn family

48. dan July 24th, 2008 12:01 pm

thank you for going public with the story of lina’s amazing life and passing. great blessings to your family for this time of change!

Dan Vie – vancouver bc

49. Sebastian and family from Bonn in Germany July 24th, 2008 4:41 pm

Dear Craig, Chloe and Moriah,
    we just came back from a 2-weeks holiday trip and were shocked to learn, that Lina has gone for ever. We immediately started to talk about her great personality, her amazing life and passing and the many times she must have suffered. We remembered many details of our visit last year, the relaxed and modest, almost humorous way, she talked about the disease, trying to push it all aside, although many signs were showing a threatening progression of the desease. The fotographs we took last year in Cape Elizabeth with her, many of them at the beach together with you Moriah, will remain as a very important treasure in our life. The warm-hearted and welcoming way, in which Lina and you all received us there, came back to us as a great rememberence immediately. That Lina could not continue a healthy life, as we all can do, that is extremely hard to accept and merely not to understand.
    Sebastian

50. Jack Chellis July 24th, 2008 7:58 pm

Craig,

I heard the news today of Lina’s passing and am so sorry for all you and your family have been through in the past three years.

Although our lives have gone in different directions and we have fallen out of touch, my thoughts are with you and your girls in this most difficult time.

Too many thoughts I can’t seem to put into words…

Love Jack,Claire, and Alex

51. Mimi Pickering July 28th, 2008 12:12 pm

I had lost touch with Lina since she worked at Appalshop many years ago so was unaware of her long and brave fight, and very much saddened by her passing.

On Saturday I happened to be looking for some family information and opened a folder with notes, clippings, a memorial service program, from when my brother Joe died in 1992. There I found a note from Lina “offering with love” a meditation on grief that a friend had given her when Bert was killed and which she said “for whatever reasons, it really helped to lift the weight of the loss.”

She was a truly wonderful and loving person. I hope all of us who knew her at some point in her exceptional life can remember her brightness and let that lift the weight of her loss.

Love to all –Mimi

52. Sherra Picketts July 28th, 2008 2:46 pm

So very sorry. Evidently, Lina was a lightworker. Given Craig’s chronicles of her adventurous “travels” these past several weeks, she evidently still is.

I wish Lina peace & adventure wherever her spirit is, and much peace & love to her family.

53. Katharine Pearson Criss July 29th, 2008 4:06 pm

Dear Chloe, Moriah, Craig and Lina’s family and friends, I am blessed to have known Lina in this life through our work together in the early days. She was amazing! My thoughts and prayers are with you and I shall keep close my memory of her in the years to come. Love and peace, Katharine

54. Joshua Miller August 9th, 2008 4:06 pm

I just heard from Seth Borgos that Lina had died. I am shocked. Now I’ve read the “Tell the Bees” blog and got the whole sad, although inspiring, story. I met Lina when I became an organizer for ACORN in 1976. She was beautiful and charming and nice. Years later I visited her and Chloe on her farm near Penn State. Then, she stopped in Easton, PA for a short visit, perhaps on the way to New England. I wish that I could see her again; I wish that I had kept in better touch and contacted her while she was sick. As the blog and the comments show, she was extraordinary.

55. Steve August 14th, 2009 10:54 am

God has his ways, but I’ll never understand when he takes the good ones. I didn’t expect to cry today, you this just got me.