Yesterday, Friday, March 14, Craig and I and Moriah drove to Boston and I was admitted, as scheduled, to Brigham and Women’s hospital for my “mini allo” stem cell transplant. The nurses did their initial work on me, putting in lines and IVs, asking me dozens of questions, bringing me medications, oral care supplies, etc. My room was noisy and I didn’t sleep well, but we were there and things seemed underway.
But it’s now Saturday evening, March 15, and here I am back at home in Cape Elizabeth, not as scheduled, much to our great frustration. Dr. Armand’s proxy doctor at Brigham and Women’s Hospital decided late this afternoon that I needed to go home to get rid of my runny nose and cough, even though NONE of the tests they did on me came back positive for the flu or any viruses.
I guess we should respect his extreme caution. As my blood counts & immune system would have gone down next week as the result of the chemo, I would have been more vulnerable to viruses, germs in general. But, it’s also probably safe to assume that I would have gotten better before then. It’s especially annoying because my regular Dana Farber doctor, Dr. Armand, knowing I had a minor cold, had given us the ok to come on down to Boston. Time and money spent…At least they said Mark could stick to his schedule of donating his stem cells; they would just be frozen until I (and the doctors) are ready for the transfusion/transplant.
Na Ja, as they say in German, oh well…. let’s let the negative energy go and look for the silver lining. More chances to do things out in the world before the restrictions that will be imposed post transplant….eat out at restaurants, go to movies, go out any where. A chance to get a better room at the hospital next time (the nurses told me I could request a certain floor or room). More time to help the cleaning team here in this dusty house. In general more time to get ready emotionally and mentally for this transplant.7 comments